The Jewelry Judge™
Mr. Gordon is an Independent Master Appraiser and has no affiliation with Tego Jewelers or any other jeweler.
Over 65 Years in the Jewelry Business
With over 65 years in the jewelry business, Ben Gordon, Master Graduate Gemologist / Appraiser has seen and done practically everything related to jewelry. He started his career as a runner in New York’s Diamond District, worked as Vice President of Merchandising for a nationwide entity with responsibilities for design, manufacturing, distribution and merchandising. In 1977, he dedicated full time to his appraising business in response to consumer demand.
What is a Jewelry Judge?
Mr. Gordon joined the elite network of professional appraisers to become a Jewelry Judge in 2000. This nationwide network of independent jewelry appraisers adheres to the highest industry standards for ethics and business practices. Jewelry Judge appraisals and consultations are always done in full view of the client. Furthermore, Mr. Gordon has played a role as advocate for the jewelry industry as well as the consumer.
Types of Services (from single items to large estates)
- Estate and trust evaluations
- Inheritance and property division
- Diamond and gemstone color grading & appraisals
- Before and after consultations for buying and selling
- Professional cleaning and polishing
- Luxury watch authentication and evaluation
- Virtual and off-site appraisals
- Loss Recovery Documentation
- Expert witness - legal claims
Genealogy of jewelry: Mr. Gordon includes a verbal genealogy of each piece. With his encyclopedic knowledge of gemology and jewelry he looks for clues presented by each item. His trained eye often uncovers details of family history. Ben Gordon has expertise in ethnic to elegant; from old mine cut and old European cut diamonds to Crown of Light. He has lived through the charm bracelets of the 1950s, the cluster rings of the 1970s, and the Cushion and Princess cuts of the early 21st century.
Crown of Light specialty: The Crown of Light is a trademark for a luxury line of jewelry featuring earth mined diamonds that have a particular patented cut. COL items are often purchased outside of the US. Mr. Gordon is one of the few appraisers with adequate knowledge and experience to value Crown of Light for replacement insurance purposes.
Synthetic and enhanced colored stones: Lab grown or manmade gems, especially diamonds are increasingly popular and Ben Gordon is qualified through additional advanced gemological training, to authenticate and differentiate these stones from earth mined gems. He also distinguishes diamond look-a-likes such as moissanite and cubic zirconia from natural enhanced diamonds and colored stones.
Specialty watches: For the collector of high-end vintage and contemporary men’s and lady’s watches, The Jewelry Judge can research and value trade names such as Piaget, Rolex, Patek, Breitling, Cartier, Tag Heuer, Movado, Omega, among others.
Ben Gordon connects personally with each client in several ways:
- First, he encourages his clients to ask questions and participate in the valuation process. Every step from cleaning and authentication to final description and printing the written appraisal report is transparent.
- Second, as an independent appraiser, he does not buy or sell jewelry. Doing so would create a conflict of interest. When requested by clients who need to determine value prior to selling an item, Mr. Gordon can provide names of buyers and/or auction houses who are known to be fair and reliable. Similarly, when a client wants to purchase a quality item, Ben can offer guidance and direction.
- Third, clients make appointments at their convenience by linking directly to his online schedule that is available through social media and his website. Feedback is actively encouraged and shared with the public.
- Lastly, the gem lab is in Houston’s Galleria/Uptown area with easy access to Loop 610 and Southwest Freeway. And if getting to his office is inconvenient, special arrangements can be made.
This secure well-equipped laboratory and office is welcoming. When arriving, Linda or Ligia will greet you and make you comfortable. Each item is described on a written form and the cost of the appraisal or consultation services will be specified before any work is done.
Ben Gordon is most proud of:
- The trust that clients have placed in him for generations. He now works with the grandchildren of his very first clients. People may come to him with a single item or with suitcases of inventory.
- Staying up to date with technology. His gem lab uses state of the art equipment when testing and authenticating jewelry.
- Over two hundred five-star testimonials across the Internet.
- His role as Consumer Advocate working to prevent fraud in the industry, by delivering public awareness presentations. He is frequently interviewed for TV by investigative reporters. Mr. Gordon is a campaigner for fair pricing in the jewelry industry and often speaks to interested groups with his fees going to local community organizations. He educates on buying and selling precious gems and fine jewelry and his talks are full of ‘buyer beware tips’.
- Being recognized by the Greater Houston Better Business Bureau for Excellence in the Workplace for five consecutive years including 2017.
Price, based upon the type of service, and the amount of time and research involved, can be on a ‘per item’ or ‘per hour’ basis, whichever will be more economical for the client. Special pricing is offered for large estates. Fees for professional services such as depositions and court appearances are determined on a case by case basis and may require a retainer.
Pricing is always quoted before any consulting or appraisal work is done when the jewelry items are viewed.